A Program to Design Segmented Vessels
- That is easy to use for both a beginner or an advanced segmented turner
- That can be used to design vessel with shapes spanning from bowls to vases
- Allows an iterative design process with immediate 3D visualization
- No limit to the number of rings and segments on a ring
- Rings can be specified with horizontal or vertical segments with or without open gaps
- Design traditional vessels with feature rings or painted vessels with patterns spaning the entire vessel or a combination of both
- The profile is based on Bezier curves and is easy to modify
- Easy to use pattern editor for feature ring segments that are composed of multiple woods
- Easy to use editor for painted vessels
- Text output of the plans for constructing the project
- Plus many more features
Try Free 30 Day Trial
The program provides a multi panel layout with a main panel that displays the views for data specification and different aspects of the design. There are also two side panels on the right that display a 3D image of the current vessel design and the current profile. As data is changed on the main panel the side panels provide immediate feedback.
The 3D Views allows manipulation of the image by zooming in and out and repositioning the image with the mouse
Parameters that are persisted when the program is closed. The defaults are used to populate the vessel defaults when a new vessel is initialized
Values that apply to the current vessel. These include vessel wall thickness, wall offset, saw keft,
The view that allows the manipulation of the profile. The outer profile is based on a Bezier curve that is defined by user specified points. Changes to the profile causes the vessel to be recalculated resulting in the profile view displaying the inner wall profile, the offset profiles and the minimum and maximum radii for the segments on each ring.
A master-detail view that has a top master grid for the rings and a bottom detail grid for the selected ring that defines the segments that make up the ring. Each grid allows certain attributes to be specified and columns that show the calculated results
Segment Pattern Editor
A graphics editor used to define the wood pattern that will be used when constructing a segment. The pattern editor is an option available for a selected segment.
Painted Pattern Editor
A graphics editor used to define a wood pattern for the entire vessel. The painted pattern editor can be used on any vessel although it is specifically designed for a painted vessel.
A view that shows a top view for the selected ring
A 3D view that shows the ring stack prior to being turned
A 3D view of the turned vessel
- Vector graphics based 3D images of the stacked rings before the vessel is turned and a 3D image of the vessel as it will appear after it is turned on the lathe.
- The profile aspect ratio is maintained when the vessel height is changed
- A new vessel can either be a default vessel with 6 rings that can be endlessly modified to achieve your desired result or a painted vessel where you determine the number of rows, number of repeating segments, number of segments, and if it has open gaps and the segment to gap ratio.
- Modification of the vessel profile through drag and drop of points on a Bezier curve
- The vessel is made up of five or more rings. A ring can have segments with a horizontal or verticle grain orientation
- Each ring can have one of more repeating groups of segments
- Each repeating group is made up of one or more wedges and optionally rectangular blocks
- Within a repeating group, wedge segments have a relative outer width size; block segments can have either a relative size or defined outer width.
- Each segment can have a wood specified, a pattern comprised of multiple woods and shapes or it can be void for an open gap
- Segment patterns are designed in a editor within the program and can have relative or absolute sizing
- Painted patterns are designed in an editor within the program
- 3D views allows manipulation of the image by zooming in and out and repositioning the image with the mouse
- Change wood type throughout the vessel or only for a ring
- Change ring height on multiple rings that have a specified height
- Change the number of repeating groups on multiple rings that have a specified number of repearing groups
- Four different ways to output relevent specifications for the construction of the vessel
- Specify measurments in English or Metric
- Saving vessel specification to a serialized file that can be opened at a later time
- Exporting segment patterns to a file that can be imported into another segment
- Exporting a profile to a file that can be imported into another vessel
- Persistent program defaults
- Vessel defaults
For a full description of all of the features see the user guide
Questions or Comments
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Windows 10 on a pc or laptop (works best on a large display)
- At least an Intel i5 processor or equivilent
- 64-bit operating system, x64 based processor
- At least 4 GB main memory
- DirectX 12